ACTIVE PASSIVE VOICE AND DIRECT INDIRECT SPEECH SET-5

#everydayquiz #ssc #english
India is evolving a new plan to control her population.
(A) A new plan is evolved by India to control her population
(B) A new plan has been evolved by India to control her population
(C) A new plan was being evolved to control her population by India
(D) A new plan is being evolved by India to control her population


D

We found the lock broken last night.
(A) The lock was found by us breaking last night
(B) The lock was found by us broken last night
(C) The lock was broken by us last night
(D) The broken lock we found last night
B


They should shoot the traitor dead.
(A) The traitor should be shot at by them
(B) The traitor should be shot them
(C) The traitor should be shot dead by them.
(D) The traitor is shot by them
C

Who inaugurated the fair?
(A) The fair was inaugurated by whom
(B) The fair is inaugurated by who
(C) By whom was the fair inaugurated
(D) By who was the fair inaugurated
C

Mr. Sen asked him a question.
(A) He was asked a question Mr. Sen
(B) He was asked a question to Mr. Sen
(C) He was asked a question by Mr. Sen
(D) A question was being asked by Mr. Sen
C


People speak English all over the world.
(A) English is spoken all over the world
(B) English was spoken all over the world
(C) English was spoken by people
(D) English is spoken by people
A


The teacher punished the boys who had not done their homework.
(A) The boys who had not done their homework had been punished by their teacher
(B) The boys were punished by their teacher who had not done their homework
(C) The boys who had not done their homework were punished by the teacher
(D) The boys who had not done their homework were being punished by the teacher
C



The Principal has granted to him a scholarship.
(A) A scholarship has granted to him by the Principal
(B) He has been granted a scholarship by the Principal
(C) He has granted a scholarship by the Principal
(D) A scholarship was granted to him by the Principal
B


Somebody told me that there had been an explosion in the Town Hall.
(A) I was told by somebody about the explosion in the Town Hall
(B) I was told about the explosion in the Town Hall
(C) I was informed that there was an explosion in the Town Hall
(D) I was told by somebody that there had been an explosion in the Town Hall
D



Don't speak, until someone speaks to you.
(A) Don't speak until you are spoken to
(B) Don't speak until someone is spoken to
(C) Don't speak until you have been spoken to
(D) Don't speak until someone has been spoken to
A


Did the noise frighten you?
(A) Did you frighten the noise
(B) Was the noise frightened by you
(C) Were you frightened by the noise
(D) Were you frighten by the noise

C

We are reaching the end of this exercise.
(A) This exercise is ended by us.
(B) The end of this exercise is being reached by us.
(C) This is our end to the exercised.
(D) The exercise has reached its end by us
B



I expect you to complete this work before sunset.
(A) I expect you to be completed this work before sunset.
(B) I am expected you to complete this work before sunset
(C) You are expected to complete this work before sunset
(D) You are expected to be completed this work before sunset
C



The storm did much damage.
(A) Much damage was done by the storm.
(B) The storm damaged much.
(C) Much damage did the storm.
(D) The storm was damaged
A



Why haven't they allowed you to go?
(A) Why you haven't been allowed to go
(B) Why haven't you been allowed to go
(C) Why were you not allowed to go
(D) Why you were not allowed to go

B

I expected him to give us financial aid.
(A) It was expected of him to give us financial aid.
(B) Let it be expected that he would give us financial aid.
(C) It was expected by me that he will give us financial aid.
(D) He may be expected to give us financial aid
A


Tobacco manufactures are making considerable efforts to gain new clients.
(A) Considerable efforts, are being made by tobacco manufactures to gain new clients.
(B) Considerable efforts were being made by tobacco manufactures to gain new clients.
(C) Considerable efforts are made by tobacco manufactures to gain new clients.
(D) To gain new clients by tobacco manufactures considerable efforts are being made.
A


Has anybody done all the work?
(A) Have all the work been done by somebody
(B) Somebody has done all the work
(C) The work has been done by somebody
(D) Has all the work been done by somebody
D



Cigarette smoking causes two million deaths annually in the industrial states.
(A) Cigarette smoking has been causing two million deaths annually in the industrial states.
(B) Two million deaths are caused annually by cigarette smoking in the industrial states.
(C) Two million deaths are being caused by cigarette smoking annually in the industrial states.
(D) Two million deaths have been caused annually by cigarette smoking in the industrial states.
B


He was obliged to resign.
(A) He was made to resign
(B) To resign was his obligation
(C) Circumstances obliged him to resign
(D) Resignation obliged him
C



DIRECT-INDIRECT SPEECH

Please could you tell me the way?î he said.
(A) He asked me please could I tell him the way
(B) He asked me to please tell him the way
(C) He requested me to tell him the way, please
(D) He requested me to tell him the way.
D


They said to him, "we will destroy your homestead"
.(A) They said to him they will destroy his homestead
(B) They told him they would destroy their homestead
(C) They told him that they can destroy his homestead
(D) They told him that they would destroy his homestead
D

"You can phone from my office," he said.
(A) He said that he could phone from his office
(B) He said you could phone from his office
(C) He said that I can phone from your office
(D) He said I can phone from my office
A



"Please sit down," he said.
(A) He asked her to sit down
(B) He said that she could sit down
(C) He told her that sit down
(D) He said her to sit down
A


Keats wrote "a thing of beauty is a joy forever".
(A) Keats wrote that a thing of beauty is a joy forever
(B) Keats wrote that a thing of beauty was a joy forever
(C) a thing of beauty was a joy forever is written by Keats
(D) Keats has written that a beautiful thing is always joyful
A


My friend said, "I am leaving today."
(A) My friend said that he is leaving today
(B) My friend said that he was leaving today
(C) My friend said that he leaves today
(D) My friend said that he was leaving that day
D


Mukta said to Puneet, "My mother is a good cook."
(A) Mukta told Puneet that her mother was a good cook
(B) Mukta told Puneet that my mother was a good cook
(C) Mukta told to Puneet that her mother is a good cook
(D) Mukta asked Puneet that her mother is a good cook
A



The commander said to the army, "March forward"
(A) The commander asked the army march forward
(B) The commander ordered the army to march forward
(C) The commander requested the army to go forward
(D) The army requested the commander to march
B


He promised, "I will do it tomorrow."
(A) He promised that he will do it tomorrow
(B) He promised that he will do it the next day
(C) He promised that he would do it tomorrow
(D) He promised that he would do it the next day
D


Geeta said, "I did not do this deliberately"
(A) Geeta said that I had not done that deliberately
(B) Geeta said that she had not done that deliberately
(C) Geeta said that she has not done this deliberately
(D) Geeta said that I have not done this deliberately
B

She exclaimed, "I am afraid we are rather late!"
(A) She exclaimed that they were frightened of being late
(B) She exclaimed that she was afraid that they were rather late
(C) She shouted that they were scared that they would be late
(D) She screamed that she was worried that they would all be late
B

She said to me, "What can I do for you ?"
(A) She asked me what she could do for me
(B) She asked me what can she do for me
(C) She asked me what she can do for me
(D) She asked me whether she can do anything for me
A




He said, "Alas! I am undone !"
(A) He said that it was his undoing
(B) He exclaimed pathetically that he was undone
(C) He stated that he was undone
(D) He cried that he was being undone
B



"I shall unlock the secrets of their success,"he said.
(A) He said that he shall unlock the secrets of their success
(B) He said that he should unlock the secrets of their success
(C) He said that he would unlock the secrets of their success
(D) He said that he will unlock the secrets of their success
B


"I wonder what he wants of us." said Quint.
(A) Quint said that he was wondering what he wanted of them
(B) Quint said that he wondered what he wanted of us
(C) Quint said he wondered what he wants of them
(D) Quint said that he wondered what he wanted of them
D



Dinesh said, "I want to eat a good mango one of these days."
(A) Dinesh said he wants to eat a good mango one of these days
(B) Dinesh said that he wanted to eat a good mango one of those days
(C) Dinesh said that he wants to eat a good mango one of those days
(D) Dinesh said that he wanted to eat a good mango one of these days
B


He said, "1 intend to leave for Delhi tonight"
(A) He said that he will intend to leave for Delhi tonight
(B) He said that he should intend to leave for Delhi that night
(C) He said that he intended to leave for Delhi that night
(D) He said that his intention is to leave for Delhi tonight
C


He said, "The Sun rises in the east."
(A) He said that the Sun rised in the east
(B) He said that the Sun rises in the east
(C) He said that the Sun will rise in the east
(D) I le said that the Sun may rise in the  east
B

Ram asked Krishna, "Where are you going today ?"
(A) Ram asked Krishna where he was going that day
(B) Ram asked Krishna as to where he was going on the previous day
(C) Ram asked Krishna where was he going the next day
(D) Ram asked Krishna where was he going the day before
A



He said, "What a fool Tom is !"
(A) He exclaimed that he was a big fool
(B) He exclaimed that Tom was a big fool
(C) He wondered what kind of a fool Tom was
(D) He claimed that Tom was a big fool
B



"What kind of scheme do you have ?" Amit asked the insurance agent.
(A) Amit asked the insurance agent what kind of scheme he/ she had
(B) Amit asked the insurance agent what kind of scheme he/ she has
(C) Amit asked the insurance agent what kind of scheme he/ she is having
(D) Amit asked the insurance agent what kind of scheme he/ she was having
A


The doctor said to the patient, "Take complete rest."
(A) The doctor told to the patient that take complete rest
(B) The doctor advised the patient to take complete rest
(C) The doctor suggested the patient to take complete rest
(D) The doctor asked the patient take complete rest
B



Mini said to me, "I have bought this flat for my mother."
(A) Mini told that she had bought that flat for her mother
(B) Mini said that she bought that flat for her mother
(C) Mini said she has bought that flat for her mother
(D) Mini told me that she had bought that flat for her mother
D


He said, "1 will come again."
(A) He said that he will come again
(B) He says he is coming again
(C) He says heíll come again
(D) He said that he would come again
D



"Don't do any more work until you have had a rest," her mother advised her.
(A) Her mother advised her not to do any more work until she has had a rest
(B) Her mother advised her not to do any more work until she had had a rest
(C) Her mother advised her that she would not do any more work until she had had a rest
(D) Her mother advised her that she need not do any more work until she had a rest

B

"Make me another suit like this," he said to the tailor.
(A) He asked the tailor to make him another suit like this
(B) He asks the tailor to make him another suit like this
(C) He asked the tailor to make him another suit like that
(D) He asked the tailor to make me another suit like this
C



My Principal told me, "Don't conduct any test tomorrow"
(A) My Principal told me not to conduct any test tomorrow
(B) My Principal told me not to conduct any test tomorrow
(C) My Principal ordered me don't conduct any test
(D) My Principal ordered me not to conduct any test the next day

D




























1 comment: