ACTIVE PASSIVE VOICE AND DIRECT INDIRECT SPEECH SET-4

#everydayquiz #ssc #english

The author wrote the book in one month.
(A) The book would be written by the author in one month.
(B) The book had wrote in one month
(C) The book had been written in or month.
(D) The book was written in one month.

D






Somebody built this house in 2001.
(A) This house was built by somebody in 2001.
(B) This house was build in 2001.
(C) This house had been built in 2001.
(D) This house is built in 2001.
A







Somebody should have cleaned the windows yesterday.
(A) The windows were not cleaned yesterday.
(B) The windows had to be cleaned yesterday.
(C) The windows should have been cleaned yesterday.
(D) The windows should be cleaned yesterday.
C




Have you ever been bitten by a dog ?
(A) Has a dog ever bitten you ?
(B) Had a dog ever bitten you ?
(C) Did a dog ever bite you ?
(D) Has a dog ever bite you ?
A







Can we solve this problem ?
(A) Can this problem solved ?
(B) Can this problem not be solved?
(C) Can this problem be solved ?
(D) Can this problem be solved by us ?
C




They had to scrap all the rules to accommodate a particular person.
(A) All the rules had to be scrapped to accommodate a particular person.
(B) All the rules had been scrapped to accommodate a particular person
(C) All the rules had to be scrapped by them to accommodate a particular person.
(D) All the rules were scrapped to accommodate a particular person.
A




The parents' love should not be taken for granted.
(A) One cannot take parents' love for granted.
(B) Can one take parents' love for granted ?
(C) I should not take parents' love for granted.
(D) One should not take parents' love for granted.

D






My sister played a major role in shaping my career.
(A) A major role is played by my sister in shaping my career.
(B) A major role was played by my sister in shaping my career.
(C) A major role has been played- by my sister, in shaping my career.
(D) A major role had been played by my sister in shaping my career.
B







Did anyone invite Rachna to the party ?
(A) Is Rachna invited to the party ? ,
(B) Had Rachna been invited to the party by anyone ?
(C) Was Rachna invited to the party ?
(D) Was Rachna going to be invited to the party ?
C




The poet read his long poem himself.
(A) The long poem was read by the poet himself.
(B) The long poem read by the poet himself.
(C) The long poem had been read by the poet himself.
(D) The long poem is read by the poet himself.
A




IF THERE WERE reads then D would be choice




The poet reads his long poem himself.

(D) The long poem is read by the poet himself.








People should send their complaints to the head office.
(A) The complaints ought to be sent to the head office.
(B) The complaints were sent to the head office by the people.
(C) The complaints should be sent to the head office.
(D) The complaints had to be sent to the head office.
C




An electrical fault could have caused the fire.
(A) The fire had been caused by an electrical fault.
(B) The fire could have been caused by an electrical fault.
(C) The fire was caused by an electrical fault.
(D) The fire could be caused by an electrical fault.
B




Raksha Bandhan is Celebrated all over the country.
(A) All over the country people are celebrating Raksha Bandhan.
(B) People were celebrating Raksha Bandhan all over the country.
(C) People celebrated Raksha Bandhan all over the country.
(D) All over the country people celebrate Raksha Bandhan.
D




Who built the Taj Mahal ?
(A) By whom the Taj Mahal built ?
(B) By whom had the Taj Mahal been built ?
(C) By whom was the Taj Mahal built ?
(D) By whom the Taj Mahal was built ?
C







Five explosions rocked Pune today.
(A) Pune has been rocked by five explosions today.
(B) Pune had been rocked by five explosions today.
(C) Pune is rocked by five explosions today.
(D) Pune was rocked by five explosions today
D







Did everybody appreciate the anticorruption movement ?
(A) Is the anti-corruption movement being appreciated by everybody ?
(B) Was the anti-corruption movement Appreciated by everybody ?
(C) Is the anti-corruption movement . appreciated by everybody ?
(D) Has the anti-corruption movement been appreciated by everybody ?
B







Do men gather grapes of thorns or figs of thistles ?
(A) Are grasses of thorns or figs of thistles being gathered by men ?
(B) Are grapes of thorns or figs of thistles be gathered by men ?
(C) Were grapes of thorn or figs of thistles gathered by men ? .
(D) Are grapes of thorns or figs of thistles gathered by men ?
D




I have always endorsed your decisions.
(A) Your decisions have always been endorsed by me.
(B) Your decisions has always been endorsed by me.
(C) Your decisions are always endorsed by me.
(D) Your decisions were always endorsed by me.
A







Have you ever felt the responsibility of looking after your parents ?
(A) Was the responsibility of looking after your parents felt by you ?
(B) Is the responsibility of looking after your parents being felt by you ?
(C) Has the responsibility of looking after your parents ever been felt by you ?
(D) Has the responsibility of looking after your parents felt by you ?

C




Did all the candidates complete the paper on time ?
(A) Had the paper been completed by all candidates on time?
(B) Was the paper completed by all the candidates on time ?
(C) Was the paper complete by all the candidates on time ?
(D) Could the paper be completed by all the candidates on time ?
B













INDIRECT DIRECT SPEECH




The Swami said to the villager, "Please bring me a glass of water."
(A) The Swami ordered the villager to bring him a glass of water.
(B) The Swami requested to the villager to bring him a glass of water.
(C) The Swami told the villager to bring me a glass of water.
(D) The Swami requested the villager to bring him a glass of water.
D







He said, "Will you listen to such a man ?"
(A) He asked them would they listen to such a man.
(B) He asked them whether they would listen to such a man.
(C) He asked them will they listen to such a man
(D) He asked to them if they would listen to such a man
B




He said, "Be quiet and listen to my words."
(A) He urged them to be quiet and listen to his words.
(B) He asked them to be quiet and listen to his words.
(C) He urged them to be quiet and listen to my words.
(D) He requests them to be quiet and listen to his words.
A







"Do you know the way home?" asked I.
(A) I asked him did he know the way home.
(B) I asked to him whether he knew the way home.
(C) I asked him if he knew the way home.
(D) I asked him if he knows the way home.
C




"How should I answer this question, father ?" the boy enquired.
(A) The boy asked his father how I should answer this question.
(B) The boy asked his father that how he should answer that question.
(C) The boy asked his father how he should answer that question.
(D) The boy asked his father how should he answer that question.
C







"Do you suppose you know better than your own father ?" jeered his mother angrily.
(A) His angry mother jeered and asked him if he supposes he knows better than his father.
(B) His angry mother jeered and asked him did he suppose he knew better than his own Mother.
(C) His angry mother jeered and asked if he supposed he knows better than his own father.
(D) His angry mother jeered and asked him if he supposed he knew better than his own father
D







Aladin said to the magician, "What have I done to deserve so severe a blow ?"
(A) Aladin asked the magician what had I done to deserve so severe a blow.
(B) Aladin asked the magician that what he had done to deserve so severe a blow.
(C) Aladin asked the magician what he had done to deserve so severe a blow.
(D) Aladin asked the magician what had he done to deserve so severe a blow.
C







Renu said to him, "Please wait here till I return."
(A) Renu ordered him to wait there till she returned.
(B) Renu requested him to wait here till she returned.
(C) Renu told him to wait there till she returned.
(D) Renu requested him to wait there till she returned.
D







He said, "Suresh slipped when he was trying to board a bus."
(A) He told that Suresh had slipped when he was trying to board a bus.
(B) He informed that Suresh had slipped when he was trying to board a bus.
(C) He said that Suresh had slipped when he was trying to board a bus.
(D) He said that Suresh has slipped when he was trying to board a bus.
C







She said, "Whatever Saraj does displeases her mother-in-law."
(A) She said that whatever Saraj did displeased her mother-in-law.
(B) She said that whatever Saraj does displeased her mother-in-law.
(C) She says that whatever Saraj has been doing displeases her mother-in-law.
(D) She told that whatever Saraj did displeased her mother-in-law.
A




The teacher said, "The earth revolves round the sun."
(A) The teacher said that the earth is revolving round the sun'.
(B) The teacher asked if the earth revolves round the sun.
(C) The teacher said that the earth revolved round the sun.
(D) The teacher said that the earth revolves round the sun.
D







The teacher said to me, "You have not done your homework well."
(A) The teacher told to me that I had not done my homework well.
(B) The teacher told that you have not done your homework well.
(C) The teacher told me that I had not done my homework well.
(D) The teacher told that I had not done homework well.

C




You said, "My parents never liked my accepting any job but I had always wanted to stand on my own feet."
(A) You said that your parents never liked your accepting any job but you had always wanted to stand on your own feet.
(B) You said my parents never liked my accepting any job but you always wanted to stand on your own feet.
(C) You said that my parents never 1iked my accepting any job but I always wanted to stand on my own feet.
(D) You told that your parents never liked you accepting any job but you always wanted to stand on your own feet.
A




The Prime Minister said, "We should be united to fight the enemy tooth and nail."
(A) The Prime Minister requested that we should be united to fight the enemy tooth and nail.
(B) The Prime Minister said that we should be united to fight the enemy tooth and nail.
(C) The Prime Minister said that they shall be united to fight the enemy tooth and nail.
(D) The Prime Minister informed that they should be united to fight the enemy tooth and nail.
B




He said to his beloved, "We will never desert each other."
(A) He told to his beloved that they shall desert each other.
(B) He reminded his beloved that they will never desert each other.
(C) He said to his beloved that they would never desert each other.
(D) He said to his beloved that never desert each other.
C




The representative of the workers said, "We have decided not to resume work till our salaries are increased."
(A) The representatives of the workers said that they will not resume work till their salaries are increased.
(B) The representative of the workers said that they have decided not to resume work till their salaries are increased.
(C) The representatives of the workers told that they had decided not to resume work till their salaries were increased.
(D) The representatives of the workers said that they had decided not to resume work till their salaries were increased.
D







The speaker said, "We have assembled to pay homage to our departed leader."
(A) The speaker said they assembled to pay homage to their departed leader.
(B) The speaker declared they had assembled to pay homage to their departed leader.
(C) The speaker said that they had to their assembled to pay homage to their departed leader.
(D) The speaker told that they had assembled to pay homage to their departed leader.
C




A student came to me and said, "Sir I shall be obliged to you if you grant me three days' leave. I have to go to my village to see my father."
(A) A student came to me and told me that if he will be obliged if I grant him three days leave to go to his village to see his father.
(B) A student came to me and told to respectfully grant him three days' leave as he had to see his father in the village.
(C) A student came to me and respectfully said that he would be obliged to me if I granted him three days leave as he had to go to his village to see his father.
(D) A student came to me and requested me to grant him three days leave as he had to go to the village to see his father

C




She said, "Girls are usually more sincere than boys."
(A) She said that usually girls have been more sincere than boys.
(B) She said that usually girls had been more sincere than boys.
(C) She said that girls were usually more sincere than boys.
(D) She said that girls are usually more sincere than boys.
D







She said, "When I was a child I used to be afraid of ghosts."
(A) She said that when she was a child she used to be afraid of ghosts.
(B) She said that when she was a child she used to be afraid of ghosts.
(C) She said that when I was a child I was afraid of ghosts.
(D) She told that when she was a child she used to be afraid of ghosts
B




He said, "Robots are not human beings as they do not have the human intelligence."
(A) He told that Robots are not human beings as they did not have the human intelligence.
(B) He announced that Robots are not human beings as they did not have the human intelligence.
(C) He said that Robots are not human beings as they do not have the human intelligence.
(D) He said that Robots were not human beings as they did not have the human intelligence.
C




The teacher said, "Why can't you come to school on time, Reema ?"
(A) The teacher asked Reema why she can't come to school on time.
(B) The teacher asked Reema why can't she come to school on time.
(C) The teacher asked Reema why couldn't she come to school on time.
(D) The teacher asked Reema why she couldn't, come to school on time.
D







Sita said, "I have not seen my grandmother for a very long time."
(A) Sita said that she did not see her grandmother for a very long time.
(B) Sita said that she did not seen her grandmother for a very long time.
(C) Sita said that she had not seen her grandmother for a very long time.
(D) Sita said that she has not seen her grandmother for a very long time.
C







"Soni, why haven't you had your bath till now ?" said her mother angrily.
(A) Soni's mother angrily asked her why she hadn't had her bath till then.
(B) Soni's mother angrily asked her that why she did not had her bath till then.
(C) Soni's mother angrily asked her why she did not have her bath till then.
(D) Soni's mother angrily asked her why didn't she have her bath till then.
A




She said, "Shall I have a happy married life?"
(A) She wondered if she would have a happy married life.
(B) She wondered if she will have a married life.
(C) She asked whether she will have a happy married life.
(D) She asked will she have a happy married life
A




She said to me, "What can I do for dear?"

(A) She asked me what could she do for me.
(B) She requested me to tell her what she could do.
(C) She said to me what she could do for me.
(D) She asked me affectionately what she could do for me.
D







He said to the lady, "Why are you weeping so bitterly ?"
(A) He asked the lady why she had been weeping so bitterly.
(B) He asked the lady why she was weeping so bitterly.
(C) He asked the lady why was she weeping so bitterly.
(D) He said to the lady why she was weeping so bitterly
B










































































2 comments: