ACTIVE PASSIVE VOICE AND DIRECT INDIRECT SPEECH SET-2

#everydayquiz #ssc #english

Suresh was nominated by my friend for the post.
(A) My friend nominates Suresh for the post.
(B) My friend is nominating Suresh for the post.
(C) My friend nominated Suresh for the post.
(D) My friend has nominated Suresh for the post.


C
The task would have been completed by
that time tomorrow.
Someone/Some people ...
(A) would have completed the task by that time tomorrow.
(B) will have completed the task by that time tomorrow.
(C) will complete the task by that time tomorrow.
(D) will be completing the task by that time tomorrow.

A


The growing population problem will be discussed at the conference.
They/Some people ...
(A) will discuss the growing population problem at the conference.
(B) discuss the growing population at the conference.
(C) discusses the growing population at the conference.
(D) discussed the growing population at the conference

A

They are being bitten by mosquitoes all over.
(A) Mosquitoes have bit them all over.
(B) Mosquitoes are bitten them all over.
(C) Mosquitoes are biting them all over.
(D) Mosquitoes had bit them all over.

C
The people regarded him as an impostor and called him a villain.
(A) He was regarded as an impostor and was called a villain.
(B) He was regarded as an impostor and is called a villain.
(C) He was regarded as an impostor and had been called a villain.
(D) He is regarded as an impostor and was called a villain

A

Ayurveda makes wide use of ginger to treat a host of disorders.
(A) A host of disorders are made use of in Ayurveda with regard to ginger.
(B) Wide use of ginger is made in Ayurveda to treat a host of disorders.
(C) Wide use of ginger has been made in Ayurveda to treat a host of disorders.
(D) Ginger is being widely used to treat a host of disorders in Ayurveda.
B


Why did he deprive you of your membership?
(A) Why was your membership deprived of you by him?
(B) Why were you deprived of your membership by him?
(C) Why are you deprived of your membership?
(D) Why he deprived you ofyour membership?
B

He gently tapped me on my shoulder.
(A) My shoulder had been gently tapped by him.
(B) Gently was my shoulder being tapped by him.
(C) I was gently tapped on my shoulder by him.
(D) It was my shoulder that was gently tapped by him
C


Why should they punish the innocent ?
(A) Why the innocent should be punished by them ?
(B) Why should the innocent be punished by them ?
(C) Why should they be punished by the innocent ?
(D) Why they should be punished by the innocent ?

B
Music should be taught in every school.
(A) They should be taught music in every school.
(B) They should teach music in every school.
(C) They should be teaching music in every school.
(D) They should teach every school of music

B

Somebody introduced me to Dr. Martin yesterday.
(A) I was introduced to Dr. Martin yesterday.
(B) Dr. Martin was introduced by me yesterday.
(C) Yesterday Dr. Martin was introduced by somebody.
(D) Somebody was introduced to Dr. Martin yesterday

A

Where was the fooball match being played?
(A) Where they 
were playing the football match?
(B) Where were they playing the football match?
(C) Where are they playing the football match?
(D) Where they are playing the football match?

B

Though foreigners praised Rabindranath's Gitanjali, Indian critics ignored it in the beginning.
(A) Though Rabindranath's Gitanjali was praised by foreigners, it has been ignored by Indian critics in the beginning.
(B) Though Rabindranath's Gitanjali was praised by foreigners, it was ignored by Indian critics in the beginning.
(C) Though Rabindranath's Gitanjali is praised by foreigners, it was ignored by Indian critics in the beginning.
(D) Though Rabindranath's Gitanjali was praised by foreigners, it had been ignored by Indian critics in the beginning.

B

The security guards had blocked every exit.
(A) Every exit was blocked by the security' guards.
(B) Every exit was being blocked by the security guards.
(C) Every exit had been blocked by the security guards.
(D) Every exit has been blocked by the security guards.
C


He neither questions nor understands them.
(A) They are neither questioned nor understood by him.
(B) They are neither questioned nor have been understood by him.
(C) They were neither questioned nor understood by him.
(D) They are neither questioned or understood by him.
A


They say Ravi Verma has painted this picture.
(A) It is said that the picture has been painted by Ravi Verma.
(B) It is being said that the picture has been painted by Ravi Verma.
(C) It will be said that the picture has been painted by Ravi Verma.
(D) It is said that the picture had been painted by Ravi Verma.
D

All of them know the results of the assembly elections.
(A) The results of the assembly elections were known to all of them.
(B) The results of the assembly elections are known to all of them.
(C) The results of the assembly elections are being known to all of them.
(D) The results of the assembly elections have been known to all of them.
B

People believed that witches communicated with the devil.
(A) It was believed that witches communicated with the devil.
(B) That witches communicated with the devil has been widely believed.
(C) That witches communicated with the devil is being believed.
(D) It was believed that the witches have communicated with the devil.
A



I shall never forget your kindness.
(A) Your kindness will never be forgotten.
(B) Your kindness should never be forgotten.
(C) Your kindness shall not be forgotten.
(D) Your kindness is never forgotten
A



He made the children work hard.
(A) The children were made work hard.
(B) The children were made to work hard.
(C) The children made him work hard.
(D) He was made to work hard by the children.

B


DIRECT INDIRECT SPEECH

"I lost my pen yesterday," he said,
(A)He said that he had lost his pen the previous day.
(B) He said that he loses his pen the previous day.
(C) He said that he was lost his pen the previous day.
(D) He said that he lost his pen the previous day
A


"Can you lend me your pen ?".. she said to me.
(A) She asked me if I could lend her my pen.
(B) She asked whether she could lend me your pen.
(C) She asked whether I can lend her my pen.
(D) She asked to me if I can lend her my pen
A




The peon said, "Where shall I put the bag?"
(A) The peon asked where should he put bag.
(B) The peon wondered where he would put the bag.
(C) The peon asked where would he put the bag.
(D) The peon wanted to know where he should put the bag.
D



"I wish I had something to eat," said Ravi.
(A) Ravi said that he wished he had something to eat.
(B) Ravi said that he wished that he had something to eat.
(C) Ravi said that he had something to eat.
(D) Ravi wished to have something to eat.
A


The General said to the soldiers, "Bravo!you fought bravely."
(A) The General exclaimed with praise that the soldiers had fought bravely.
(B) The General praised the soldiers as they fought bravely.
(C) The General applauded the soldiers saying that they had fought bravely.
(D) The General told the soldiers that they had fought bravely.
C

"Are you being attended to, Sir ?" said the shop assistant.
(A) The shop assistant asked the customer if he was being attended to.
(B) The shop assistant asked me whether you are being attended to.
(C) The shop assistant asked me whether I am being attended to.
(D) The shop assistant said that if he was being attended to.
A

The nurse said to the patient, "Stay in bed."
(A) The nurse advised the patient to stay in bed.
(B) The nurse told the patient to be staying in bed.
(C) The nurse had asked the patient to stay in bed.
(D) The patient was asked by the nurse to stay in bed.
A



. "Do you want to insure your luggage or no ?" he asked.
(A) He asked if you wanted to insure your luggage.
(B) He asked whether I wanted to insure my luggage or not.
(C) He asked whether I want to insure my luggage or not.
(D) He asked in case I wanted to insure my luggage.
B


King Midas to the stranger : "There is nothing in the world that I like better than gold."
(A) King Midas told the stranger that there was nothing in the world that he liked better than gold.
(B) King Midas told the stranger that there was nothing in the world better than gold.
(C) King Midas told the stranger that he liked nothing in the world and gold.
(D) King Midas told the stranger that he liked nothing like the world and gold.

A

"I have many beautiful flowers," he said,, "but the children are the most beautiful flowers of all."
(A) He said that he had many beautiful flowers but not the children who were the most beautiful flowers of all.
(B) He declared that he had many beautiful flowers, but the children were the most beautiful flowers of all.
(C) He said that he had more beautiful flowers than the children, who werE
the most beautiful flowers of all.
(D) He said that he had more beautiful children than flowers.
B



"You are a fool," he said, "and I am your
boss!"
(A) He exclaimed that he was the boss of a fool.
(B) He said that he was a fool and exclaimed that he was his boss.
(C) He was the boss of a fool he said.
(D) He wondered that he was the boss of a fool.
B



My mother confessed with regret that she had squandered all her money.
(A) My mother said, "Alas! I have squandered all my money."
(B) My mother said, "I have been very foolish to squander all my money."
(C) My mother said, "How stupid of me that I have squandered all my money."
(D) My mother said, "I am a fool to squander all my money."
A


He demanded of me why I had insulted his brother.
(A) He inquired of me, "Why had I insulted his brother ?"
(B) He said to me, "Did you insult my brother ?"
(C) He asked me, "Why had you insulted my brother ?"
(D) He said to me, "Why did you insult my brother ?"
D



He told me that he had never seen such a lazy boy as I was.
(A) He told to me, "I have never seen such a lazy boy as I was."
(B) He told to me, "I have never seen such a lazy boy as you are."
(C) He said to me, "I have never seen such a lazy boy as you are."
(D) He said to me, "I had never seen such a lazy boy as you are."
C


"I needn't tell you how grateful I am," he said.
(A) He said that he need not tell him how grateful he is.
(B) He said that he needn't tell him how grateful he was.
(C) He said that I needn't tell you how grateful he was.
(D) He said that he need not tell me how grateful was he to me
B



The officer said to him, "If you are late again, I shall dismiss you."
(A) The officer asked him if he was late again he should dismiss him.
(B) The officer threatened to dismiss him if he was late again-.
(C) The officer told him that if he was late again, he shall dismiss him.
(D) The officer informed him that if he is late again, he would dismiss him.
B


"Let's light a fire and cook our sausages," said the children.
(A) The children requested to light a fire to cook our sausages.
(B) The children asked to light a fire to cook the sausages.
(C) The children suggested to light a fire and cook the sausages.
(D) The children said that the sausages are to be cooked on a fire.
C



"Need I eat it all mummy ?" said the child. "Yes dear, you must," she said.
(A) The child asked his mother whether he must eat it all and the mother replied that he must.
(B) The child asked his mother whether it is necessary to eat it all up. The mother said yes.
(C) The child asked his mother if he had to eat it all up. The mother replied that he had to eat it all up.
(D) The child asked his mother if he has to eat it all and the mother replied yes.
A

"Rain rain go away, little boy wants to play."
(A) He requested the rain to go away as he wanted to play.
(B) The little boy asked the rain to go away as he wanted to play.
(C) The little boy requested the rain to go away as he wanted to play.
(D) He asked the rain to go away as he wanted to play.
B

"The facts, Mr. Sharma, the facts!" Mohan cut in.
(A) Mohan interrupted Mr. Sharma's speech and forcefully drew his attention to the facts of the matter under conversation.
(B) Mohan loudly snubbed Mr. Sharma and charged him that the latter ignored the facts of the case.
(C) Mr. Sharma's speech was cut short by Mohan who asked him to look into the facts of the case.
(D) Mohan bluntly asked Mr. Sharma not to ignore the facts of the case.
A
















4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Direct Speech - The superintendent threatened to dismiss the clerk if he was late again.
    Indirect Speech - The superintendent said, “I will dismiss you if you are late again.”
    Identify the error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: Dubbing

    ReplyDelete